Friday, January 23, 2009

President Barack Hussein Obama

Here is an inauguration day timeline:*

3:30 a.m. Wake up
4:00 a.m. Leave for metro
4:30 a.m. Arrive at the Mall. People are streaming in from all directions.
5:00 a.m. Find the correct line for my section. There appear to be thousands of people in line already.
5:00-8:00 a.m. Stand in the horrific cold waiting for checkpoints to open. Busloads of police from different states go by and the line balloons into dangerously condensed clumps in several places.
8:00 a.m. Security checkpoints open. Mad dash results in near trampling of a few old ladies just within my range of sight. The flow of people is sort of like L.A. traffic - a frenzied rush to close anything passing for a gap in traffic followed by a screeching halt when people inevitably close said gap. Repeat.
8:10 a.m. Am told I can't bring backpack in. Proceed to stuff everything into various pockets and bid farewell to the faithful rucksack.
8:15-10 a.m. Intensely compacted crowd politely jostles for the best vantage point. Sort of like a music festival, but with much more reticent and subtle shoving.
10:00-10:30 a.m. Various choirs sing. Very few people care.
10:30-11:00 a.m. The important people begin filing in.
11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Introductions, John Williams' composition, booing of both Bushes (in poor taste, in my opinion. I cringed), a glut of documentation - ceremony being incessantly filmed and photographed by audience, live television feed being broadcast through jumbotrons being filmed and photographed by audience., who in turn were being filmed and photographed by the press.
12:00 p.m. After a minor flub in the oath, Obama becomes president. See my facebook video for an idea of what it sounded like.
12:00-1:30 p.m. Great speech (although I do not think fiery oration is Obama's strongest suit), benediction (hilarious), unabashed frolicking by Capitol area crowd. People gleefully ran out onto the ice of the reflecting pond. At one point a circle of people joined hands and danced on the ice, ignoring the fact that it was audibly cracking beneath them. People climbed on equestrian battle statues and posed on the horses, etc.
1:30-4:00 p.m. Realize I can't leave the area of D.C. I happen to be in unless I wait hours or walk to Virginia to get on an already overloaded metro. I finally give up on the escape attempt, buy a hotdog and a hot chocolate and wander to the National Air and Space Museum.
4:00-4:30 p.m. Wait in line for the bathroom at the NASM.
4:30-4:40 p.m. Look unsuccessfully for a place to sit that is not the floor in the middle of an exhibit. Buy an IMAX ticket.
4:40-6:00 p.m. Sleep the sleep of the dead in the theater. Am awoken by the gentle shake of a museum employee informing me that the museum closed at 5:30.
6:00-7:00 p.m. Make my way home.
*times are approximate

Of course I went out that night. In spite of my near delirium it didn't take much arm twisting to convince me. I did elicit a promise from a bartender that he would make me an Irish coffee is I brought him the coffee, which was conveniently provided by a 7-11 down the street.

I will post photos on flickr soon. There are already a few on facebook, in addition to a video.

4 comments:

  1. Well I must say that I was also nonplussed by the Bush booing. We all know he destroyed the nation but booing is gauche in every instance.

    That said, I don't feel bad for him.

    And I think it's cute that you fell asleep in the theater. I imagine your mouth gaping open and drool coming out. That's what happens to me when I fall asleep sitting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds so amazing. when i woke up that morning i kicked myself for not going. i will go to the next inauguration, whoever's being inaugurated.

    the museum wake up call is a total classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I was drooling, but I was certainly wearing a t-shirt with an obnoxious, full torso-sized portrait of Obama in red, white and blue rhinestones that said "PRESIDENT" underneath, also in rhinestones.

    And although I disapproved of the booers, I did heckle Rick Warren along with one other lone heckler, as everyone around us bowed their heads and prayed. It went sort of like this:

    Rick Warren (RW): Blah blah Jesus Obama blah
    Heckler: Goooooooooo hoooooooooome Rick Waaarreeeeeeen! We don't want you heeeeeeere.
    Crowd: Shut up. Shut UP!
    RW: Jesus, Jesus, protect the Obama family, blah blah.
    Crowd: Amen. Yes.
    Heckler: Goooooooo Hoooooooooooome.
    Crowd (hissing): Shaddap!
    RW: liberty and justice and equality for all
    Me: Except gay people!
    Heckler: Booooooo! Go Hooooooooome!
    Crowd: SHUT. UP.

    I made some timely interjections at other points in his speech, but I can't remember them all now. They were mostly along the lines of the above heckle so, you know, extrapolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Greg - it was amazing but exhausting. I'll write you a small survival manual.

    ReplyDelete