Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Man Who Wasn't There

...is the film I am currently watching as I fall asleep.

Today I woke up late and went to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. The mall is littered with port-a-potties in preparation for Sunday's mega-super-star-studded variety show inauguration kickoff concert. Aside from the hilarious image of the Washington Monument rising from a chorus line of plastic toilets, it is surreal to see such architectural icons up close.

After the Smithsonian, Darrell and I were interviewed by a German reporter on the couch surfing experience. I am told we're one half of a feature on the extremes people are going to for the inauguration. We obviously represent the plebes, while the people who are paying $50,000 a night for their lodging represent the maximum bourgeoisie. The reporter actually asked me what I thought of that. "Aw shucks lady! I didn't know folks had that much money. That's curraayzeee! Yeeehooo!"

4 comments:

  1. Washington is a funny city, architecturally, because it's based on all these buildings in Greece that weren't actually white at the time. They're sort of like buildings in their underwear. But I like it I think, and would like to view them surrounded in swarms of port-a-potties. Seems like a Christo and Jeanne-Claude stunt. "The Loos of DC"

    Have you found out yet what your inauguration ticket gets you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have - general admission to the standing-only area directly in front of and behind the reflecting pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assholes are gonna get there SO early...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asshole be camping AT the reflecting pool, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete